Sunday, February 7, 2010

What I learned from my pastor... 2-7-10


I didn't get to church this morning - Johnathan and I stayed home trying to get him to rest and drink juice to get over his cold. But I'm thankful for MP3 recordings! So this morning my "What I learned" post will be a little different - I'm listening to the sermon right now and typing notes as I listen...

Kevin's sermon topic this morning was about living for Christ, and how one of the church's purposes is to teach and encourage us to Live for Him.

We may have made Jesus part of our life, but not Lord of our life. If everything were taken away from you tonight, would Jesus be enough? Would you still worship Him?

Matthew 22:37 All your heart, soul, mind and strength

John 14:12, 21 Good illustration about obedience - Every afternoon we tell Naomi "After rest time, you need to clean your room." What does it look like to really obey? If she came back to us and said, "I memorized what you said to me - Go clean your room." Or if she said, "I invited my friends over to study what it looks like to clean my room." Or if she actually cleaned her room - and did it wholeheartedly?

Revelation 2:1-7 Jesus's message to the church in Ephesus: They have been busy doing many good works, and they have avoided the things in the world that are bad. But they had abandoned their first love for Him - understanding the Gospel and Christ's work on the cross.

How do we get there, because we know we are not capable of loving Him that way on our own? By taking the next step. The life of following Christ is about a thousand tiny steps, like climbing a mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment