Monday, July 20, 2009
What I learned from my pastor... 7-19
We "dived" into the book of Jonah this Sunday with a sermon entitled "Fear" - something I'm quite skilled at (in the worldy sense). Jonah's fear led him to try to flee from God's presence in the boat, and the sailors' fear of the storm led them to cry out to their gods. But when the sailors saw the power of the one true God, they feared Him in the way in which we were intended to fear Him. Kevin pointed out several ways we respond when we truly fear God, including witnessing and living purely. He shared a quote from A.W. Tozer: The fear of God is... astonished reverence. I believe that the reverential fear of God mixed with love and fascinaiton and astonishment and admiration and devotion is the most enjoyable state and the most satisfying emotion the human soul can know. I want to grow to truly fear God so that my human fears will diminish.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment