Thursday, September 24, 2009

What I learned from my pastor... 9-13 & 9-20

The sermon series Kevin is now preaching is from the book of Colossians, and the theme is Jesus Christ: The Ultimate. In his first sermon from Colossians 1:1-8, we learned that a gospel-centered church has 3 charactersistics: faith in Christ, love through Christ, and hope because of Christ. I'm excited to explore both the simplicity and complexity of the gospel as we go through this book.



In his second sermon from Colossians 1:9-14, one of the points that I found intriguing was about the word "knowledge" in verse 9. The Greek word Paul uses doesn't refer to just a general knowlege, but full and complete knowledge of God. He prays that the church will have that complete knowledge, and it comes through spiritual wisdom and understanding. The idea of knowling and completely understanding God's will seems like an impossible goal to me. But Colossians 1:9 says that we should ask for that spiritual knowledge, which comes through studying God's Word with the help of the Holy Spirit and then obeying it (Col. 1:10). It's a good thing that this understanding is a lifelong process (Kevin noted the present active tense in this passage, indicating a continual progress), otherwise I'd be pretty discouraged, because I'm definitely still learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment