Sunday, August 2, 2009

What I learned from my pastor... 8-2

Kevin's sermon this morning was entitled "Mighty to Save". From Jonah 3, we learned how God powerfully saved the people of Ninevah. With just 5 words from a prophet they had probably never heard of, the entire great city repented and were saved from judgment. God is never required to offer people second chances, yet in His love and mercy, He does. And given that the Ninevites worshipped a fish god, it is possible that Jonah was particularly well-prepared to have his message from the true God received. I want to be available to Him and prepared by Him to share His love as He gives opportunities.

On a less-spiritual note... Kevin and I had a chuckle thinking about all the cattle in Ninevah who were dressed in sackcloth. Read Jonah 3 - That's what it says! Anyone out there have any insight on why they felt like the cows needed to wear sackcloth?

No comments:

Post a Comment