To cap off a fun week of visiting with Mom, we went to Austin to sightsee and drop her off at the airport. We decided to be brave and go to a popular, huge park close to downtown Austin that has all kinds of fun stuff, including a spring-fed natural pool, aquatic exhibit, and a train ride around the park.

The boys decided that frigid spring water was not for them, so they took a 30 minute train ride around the park. Johnathan loved every minute of it, going through a tunnel and seeing the water from a safe distance!
The girls tried out the pool and braved 68 degree water. But when the temperature is 100 in the shade, freezing cold water feels pretty good! We had fun wading and watched the filming of a country music video in the pool. If I knew more about country music, I could tell you who it was... maybe Keith Urban? If you hear a song about "get crazy" with a music video that includes people jumping in a natural pool sometime in the future, let me know.
We also checked out a really nice aquatic exhibit next to the pool, which looked like it was inside a winding, dark cave:
To top off our day, Rachel made everyone eat dinner at an institution of her childhood - Furr's cafeteria. When I saw that Furr's sign on our last trip to Austin, I just had to go. I fondly recall many trips there with my grandparents in Colorado Springs when I was growing up. The mac and cheese, fried okra, and millionaire's pie tastes just the way I remembered! I even made Mom pose for a picture of the good 'ole "dip the napkin in her water glass to clean the grandchild's face" thing... Ahh, memories. Now I have that out of my system...




The park looks like a blast! Is this the second time your parents have been down to see you? I remember seeing a post with your dad awhile back. When are you going to be in Colorado again :)??
ReplyDelete